Thursday, April 30, 2009

Worry brought me nothing but the theft of my mind

I'm employed, joyful and sad at the same time. I knew six of those that were hit in today's layoff.

Days like today make me feel the need to keep searching for that magical identity that isn't based on performance or job title. We all have many titles and most are more important than the titles we get paid to carry. Financial security is often thought of something that responsible people possess. To me it was like a badge of honor. When I lost my financial security during my second year at HC I saw my world coming to a screeching halt. It didn't stop at all. I had more life improving changes than ever, I graduated from a 2 year college and I was married to a compassionate like minded cutie, just to name the bigest moments. All in the same year! I'm not trying to give permission to be irresponsible. Rather that bad things happen to even the most prepared people on the planet. Check your Bible on that one.

When I think of losing my job, I lean toward remembering the despair, not the joy that grew out of the freshly tilled soil. Thought patterns have to change so that the promise of spring makes winter endurable.

At first I thought the title of this post was a "Dan Original", but now I'm 100% sure I remember a quote just like it. I just wonder, who am I quoting?

No comments: