Monday, May 30, 2011

It all started with a crock pot....

Well.... my plans for living a year of second hand have gone in the wind (its pretty gusty out there today). It was going pretty well until we decided to buy a new crock pot after searching for a used one for awhile... and then from then on, it was downhill. I would say that we have not gone too far over the edge, we still consider ourselves yard sale fanatics. I definitely think before I buy something new. I have found that buying new shoes is better for your feet and if you have a hard time finding shoes that fit, a second hand purchase is almost impossible. My wallet is not happy.

Right now we are getting ready for a yard sale, so we are combing through the house in search of things to get rid of. I realize that we have created a vicious cycle. Buy second hand, sell, buy more, sell... you get the point. Then, the week after city wide garage sales, is DUMPSTER DIVING DAYS... that is where we get the stuff we didn't want to pay for, or didn't know existed, FREE! I have to keep my eyes on Dan, he was a tad bit upset at a person (who we never met, just saw driving away with some loot) for getting some "great" bikes that he would have liked to fiddle with. I am still not sure about the garage door opener that he found a couple years ago. It sits somewhere is the garage ready to become a motor of an electric bike. I, on the other hand, constantly see potential for all kinds of jewelry, storage containers, display, etc. from found items. I guess we each have our passions!

No comments: