Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day of the Toilet Seats

Ok, we decided to have a yard sale this past weekend along with the rest of Hesston. We advertised on Craig'slist and in the local paper. We started dragging inherited stuff from the barn and hay loft to the side yard: old school chairs, misc. wood trim, extra rakes, old windows, a hay fork, vinyl fencing (not vinxl as the Record so wonderful typed it), an old galvanized tub rom dumpster diving last year, a gas can complete with gas, a propane tank, extra vents, and a chute off of Dan's old 1961 pickup truck. Janell had given me some old shutters and so I tried to sell them. The fencing was sold soon after we started to set up, even though we weren't open for business.

We decided to hit a few garage sales that were open. I found several children's books and we needed to replace one toilet seat and found one. We definitiely will continue shopping Friday evening for sales, it is not very crowded and you don't have to take turns on the streets. We came home and found out that the toilet seat didn't work. :( so after supper we went looking again and found, you guessed it another toilet seat! :) --- it fit.

Saturday morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed, I started getting stuff out. Dan was still trying to wake up. It was a terribly windy day, so every once in awhile we were chasing stuff down. Dan monitored the sale while I shopped. We propped up a pole with clothing hanging on it between 2 ladders which had a habit of falling over. I found some good buys and a purse, as usual. I get most of my purses from yard sales--a sign of a good sale. :) I also bought some more children's books. I also bought a turtle sandbox and some children's books. Dan went after lunch for his hunting and spent a total of $2.00 and he got some freebees.

So this week in Hesston is the "Get rid of your yardsale leftovers", so we will be out on Friday for some dumpster diving. Oh yeah, we sold the toilet seat for the same amount we bought it for. The things we do for a good story. :)

No comments: